website    |    facebook    |    twitter    |    contact

Feb 21, 2013

Making of: Phoenix New Times Cover 'Book Heaven'

So many layers required to recreate the look of an old book


Hey friends!

New cover piece, new client.. hooray. I got asked to create this cover for Phoenix New Times for an article about the death of books, in other words - the book trashing trend that's happening. Technology is taking over with e-books, iPads and the internet over all. At the same time there's a book worshipping trend also happening. Old books are used to fill spaces/decoration purposes, artists use them to make art (kind of ironic since I did use 2 old books for this piece), and hipsters are wearing t-shirts with classic book titles.

This piece was a bit different from what I'm used to, since I'm always asked to create people in my illustrations. Non the less, an interesting change from my usual work. Enjoy!

Kira
www.kirashaimanova.com

No comments: